Saturday, November 10, 2007

A 140.6 Mile Journey Starts With a Single Step

On November 4, 2007, I signed up for Ironman Florida 2008. The event will be held on November 1, 2008. The race filled in about 7 minutes. So, I am one of the lucky ones who got in.

This blog is intended to archive how a suburban dad will transform into a finely tuned triathlete that finishes the race in 12:15. Such a finish would improve my time by 36 minutes from Ironman Florida 2006. So, now it's out there. That is my goal. Finish in 12:15 or less.



Video of me preparing to signup for Ironman Florida. I was one of the lucky ones able to signup through Active.com.


We learned this week that a woman in the 2007 race died after an incident during the swim. This is the second year in a row that an athlete died after the swim at Ironman Florida.

Here is the news as it was posted on the Ironman Florida Yahoo Group (IMFL@yahoogroups.com).


------------------------------


Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete
With sorrow, I share with you the news I just received from Dave Young:

It is my sad responsibility to be the messenger of unhappy news I
never, ever thought I would send.

Dorothy Barnett-Griffin, wife, mother of three, sister, daughter,
philanthropist, athlete, friend to hundreds and more of an Ironwoman
then all the Ironmen I have ever known, passed from this frail
existence today November 8, 2007.

Dorothy will be missed. She was a punctilious pink presence everywhere
she went. She opened her heart and her home and her purse to so many.
She was a woman of opinions clearly stated and a wit and wisdom
equally measured out in ample doses to lift or lead others as needed.
She was a magnificent woman.

She was intolerant of fools and incompetence but had a heart so big
that she became the epitome to many of faith and hope and charity –
but like Paul writing to the Corinthians, charity was her greatest
quest. As a result of losing her first husband to a sudden tragic
death, she became familiar with and then a huge supporter of the
Journey of Hope Grief Support Center in Plano. In fact she was racing
in the Ironman to race funds for this organization. (For more
information see http://www.johgriefsupport.org/founders.htm)

We honor best not with flowers and cards and well-used expressions of
sympathy but by imitating and emulating the worthy life of another.
You could do far worse than to follow the admonishment to go and try
to be like Dorothy. Be "Dorothy-Strong!"

On her way into Heaven I can hear her saying as she speedily passes
dawdling others shuffling slowly along - just like she did in many a race:

"Girl on your left."

We are diminished greatly by her leaving, we are all magnified for
having had her in our lives.

Farewell Dorothy.

Please pray for Mike and Dorothy's kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom!
Fun reading this. Look forward to reading about your miles of torturous training :) Didn't know you'd run for office. In what capacity?

So sorry to read about your friend Dorothy. She sounds like just my type of chick. In fact, the way you describe her is the way I would want my friends to describe me (though "insanely outrageous" would definitely be included in the description). She and her family are in my prayers.

Take care! Susanne