Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The 4th Discipline: Nutrition

Those of you who know me know that food is one of my weaknesses. I can eat a lot of it and I can eat a lot of the kind that a finely tuned athlete shouldn't eat. We have pizza day at lunch every Friday at the office. I have to physically leave the office to "avoid the 'noid" but if there is some left over upon my return, I will frequently slip. Also, life can get busy sometimes and it is so easy to order Chinese delivery and fall into General Cho's Chicken trap. Anyway, you get my drift... I would like to change my eating habits... I must change them to knock 36 minutes off my IMFL 2006 time.

I was talking to a guy at work today. He is doing some run training right now and he told me about how he has knocked double digits off his body fat percentage. He took a full 30 day period and TOTALLY eliminated junk food. Since then, he has had cravings but when he fed the craving, it made his body feel bad and the cravings have decreased in frequency.

Where am I going with this... I am going to attempt to eliminate the trigger foods that I have for a 30 day period of time. The month that I will do this is December. This is a time of the year when I can typically fall behind. And then it takes the first 90 days of the new year to get back into the place where I want to be. So, I'm going to give it a try... this means the following...

NO
Pizza
General Cho's Chicken
Candy/Cookies/Cake/Pie/Ice Cream
French Fries
Soda
Latte
Fried Food
Donuts
Chips of any kind

I think it will take a miracle to make this happen. But, I'm willing to give it a try because I think the payoff can be big. First of all, it will enable me to not fall behind during the holiday season. It may also result in a decrease if not total 30 day elimination of these Improvised Edible Delicacies and if it can result in making it easier in 2008 to tune the diet when training volume starts to increase, that'll be a good thing.

Some people try to quit smoking. I'm going to try and quit junking up my body.

No comments: