Friday, January 25, 2008

Medic!





My Ironman journey in 2006 was traveled along with one of my mentors, Willie Brennan. He has taught me much and being hard-headed is definitely a trait that he has shared with me.

Willie is signed up for Ironman Florida 2008 and we are sharing the journey again. However, Willie sent out word via email today that doesn't bode well for a spring training program...


--------------
Went to the third doctor today – he confirmed a previous diagnosis – of compartment syndrome that has created the nerve damage that has deteriorated to acute muscle atrophy in my lower right leg. I’ve had it for at least 4 years and every time I’ve run with the pain – I’ve continued to do inflame the area which has led to the nerve damage. Surgery is my only option to alleviate any more damage – and no guarantee that it will reverse the muscle atrophy – of course he wants me to remain positive since it appears this is my only hope.

Surgery is scheduled for March 18 – then on to therapy (physical and mental) – then see if I can run at that time…

And if you’re wondering – no I have not given up yet – that would give the appearance that I have any sense at all.

Thanks

Willie
--------------


Knowing Willie, this is just a temporary setback in training. Another goal-driven zealot, I believe it'll take far more than surgery in March to keep him from being on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico come November 1, 2008.


Definitely gives me some gratitude, too. So far, so good for me on the injury-front.

1 comment:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

You know how to train smart. Just don't do like I did a break a tooth. OUCH!!