Monday, June 16, 2008

Flying on Father's Day


Being a dad is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. It's like everyday, that kid is still there and in need of something. I grew up in a time when dad was Mr. Brady and always seemed to have the right thing to say. I find that this isn't always the case for me. Many times, I am lacking in words and tempermant. Times were changing at the time of Mr. Brady and they are even more different now. But, I still think one thing hasn't changed... it takes a lot of time and effort to be a good dad... to be a father.

Barack Obama touched on it yesterday... what makes you a man is not the ability to have a child... it's the courage to raise one. He talked about setting an example of excellence for our children. He talked about how life doesn't count for much unless we're willing to do our small part to leave this world a better place for our children.

How does this relate to triathlon and more specifically, Ironman? Well, I have seen how my Ironman journey has had an impact on my daughter. She's already done two triathlons and a 5k... and she hasn't even turned 11 years old. She is very health-conscious and makes good food choices. She is very active physically and I think she enjoys riding a bike more than watching TV.

I took time out on Father's Day to ride a bike, myself. Well... I took about 6 hours. KDOG, Chad and I did the Capitol Hill to Sugarloaf Mountain loop again. I had a blast. It was a beautiful day and we were flying along pretty fast. Afterwards, we did 2000 yards at Hains Point. When I returned home, I gave my wife flowers and a card, as it was our wedding anniversary yesterday, too. 12 years. We cooked out with some neighbors and ate a nice dinner together. It was very nice.

I think the crowning touch was a card Jessica Rose gave me for Father's Day... there is a picture of Darth Vader on the front... it reads

Across the centuries and the galaxies, one question has plagued mankind - "Why?"

And dads have the answer...

when you open the card, you hear Vader's voice declare, "I am your father".

And it reads, "That's why. Happy Fathers Day."

I'm flying on the road... and in my spirit. It was a great Fathers' Day.

No comments: