I am on site at Ironman Florida 2008. I wound up flying in to Pensacola, renting a car and then driving down to Panama City Beach. It's a 100 mile drive.
I checked in to the hotel and though the location is great, the room is very pedestrian. To make it worse, the WiFi in my room sucks so I am going to make this quick.
I went to Wal-Mart to load on up food stuffs. You know... peanut butter, carrots, oatmeal, bagels, Odwalla bars and water. I think I have so much water in this room, I should probably build an ark.
This morning, I went for a swim. 7 am practice swim. THere were about 50 - 75 other maniacs out there when I got in the water. 41 degrees at 7 am. Water was 68 degrees. Did 1.2 mile swim in 36 minutes... average HR 138. I did IMFL 2006 swim in 72 minutes. So... I am pretty pleased as that is not bad time for someone who has only swam SIX TIMES since mid-August.
I picked up my packet and was first person in line for that. I am number 1179. Then, I picked up my bike and did a 23 minute ride which covered 7 miles. I went through the expo and bought some hats, cycling gloves and a new gym bag.
I am going to go for a run here shortly. We need to move our cars away from the hotel as they'll need the street cleared for the race.
Just a quick update. I'm here now and getting ready to go.
Here are some facts about me:
- I did my first Ironman after my 40th birthday and am now a five time Ironman.
- I have worked in one way or another with the Internet since 1993.
- I once ran for political office.
- I have been president of my citizens association and my local chamber of commerce.
- I have a 17 year old daughter
- I'm a Mac evangelist
- The first time I was in a bar... I was in the band.