Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sense of Accomplishment

Is this you? You've done laundry, completed several items on your "honey-do" list and completed other necessary tasks. But, you still feel like you haven't done anything. Because you haven't gotten a workout in yet. Does this describe you?

It happened to me today. I was supposed to ride with Chad and KDOG this morning. Even left the beach a day early to go out on a ride with them. However, Jessica Rose and I wound up leaving the beach about 8 pm. I was toast from all the training since Wednesday so I got a quad venti latte for the ride. We got home at 10:30 pm and I unpacked and all that stuff, finally turning in at 11:30 pm.

Then I lay there and waited for sleep to take over. I waited until 4 am. Seriously. I tried everything... reading, eating, watching TV, counting sheep... and nothing.

So, when the alarm went off at 5 am, I missed it. Chad texted me at 6:41 am... essentially saying, Where are you? Somehow, the Blackberry vibration awoke and I was able to respond with a, "I'm not going to make it."

I slept until 10 am after that. I was still toast from all the training this past week so I proceeded to get a bunch of stuff done. Laundry, washed dishes, cleaned, took care of some finances and other stuff.

By 2 pm, I was feeling like the day was getting away from me. I really felt like I hadn't done anything at all, even though I had in fact done a lot. I was itching to get out on a ride and texted some training buddies to see what was up. Nobody could join me.

So, at 2:30 pm, I clipped in and set out myself. I got in 48 miles in 2:23 with an average HR of 136. I did a ride I've never done before... out to Colesville, up New Hampshire Avenue to Ashton, out 108 to Olney and down Fieldcrest to 124 and Gaithersburg. It was essentially an out and back.

When I returned home, I was like, whew... now I've done something with my day. A tremendous sense of accomplishment.

No comments: