Friday, July 25, 2008

Trust the Taper

"The harder I work, the luckier I get." So said Sam Goldwyn who obviously never tapered for a triathlon.

It is undoubtedly one of the hardest things for the triathlete to do. Cut back on the volume and more importantly, the intensity of workouts. I've done it a couple of different ways... no activity at all... which I don't think worked out too well for me... and the opposite, training as if there was no race on Saturday (or Sunday)... leaving me a little gassed when exiting T2 on race day.

This week, I've been trying to do what I have been told to do. I rode Tuesday, but only for 15 miles. I kept my heart rate in Zone 2, for the most part. Yesterday's run was only about 7.5 miles and the average heart rate was 134. Just kind of trucking along. I lifted on Monday and yesterday. Last nights session left out a couple of lifts so I could keep the session to 35 minutes.

I took a tip I learned from this guy I rode with in Rehoboth on 4th of July weekend. He said on his EZ bike day, he rides his beach cruiser bike. That way, he CAN'T overdo as the bike simply won't let him. I got out my old Schwinn yesterday and rode it to the gym for the weightlifting session. I cruised around the neighborhood and up Sligo Creek Parkway for a little bit before cutting over to LA Fitness. So, I rode for about 20 minutes there and back. I didn't wear bike shoes (or a helmet!) and just dawdled around.

Of course, in my mind, I'm going... "this can't be good. I should have been at Hains Point this morning". "Maybe I can get in 20 - 30 miles Saturday on the bike course in NJ."

Relax TJ... TRUST THE TAPER.

So, here it is... 5:43 am on a Friday morning... I'm heading over to the YMCA for my Friday swim... low volume... low intensity. I'll probably do three 500s and call it a day. Nice and easy. Leave some gas for Sunday.

No comments: